St Pius X Parish Akum was erectedon 1 January 1960 by Bishop Jules Peteers, the 2nd bishop of Buea, what is now the Bamenda Ecclesiastical Province. Fr John McDermott was the pioneer Parish Priest. The Parish celebrated its GOLDEN JUBILEE in 2010. In fact Christianity was brought to Akum in 1918, then known as Baghangu, by ex soldiers who returned from the First World War via Fernando Po. These soldiers included Peter Mufor Ntangkeu, Joseph Forkum, Nkwantsu Akombo and John Mutsu. Paul Asa'ande was the first catechist.
The Focolare Movement in the Archdiocese of Bamenda has a formation centre in Akum and the Holy Rosary Sisters have been running a Health Centre in Akum since 1966.